Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hump Day Help: a prickly pair of problems.

"Dear Applecheekedgirl

I have acquired a new boyfriend who has a beard. I have very sensitive skin and I've been getting a gross flaky chin for some time. I don't want him to shave because I like the beard. Is there any way I can get around it?

Yours, Hairy Problems"



Dear Hairy,


What is it you like so much about beards? It can't be the appearance so I'm going to assume, just for shits and giggles (mostly shits because he has a beard!! what the hell are you thinking girl - or boy), that you like it tickling the back of your neck ...and/or inner thigh.


Since you've already shot down the best and simplest, one step solution (excluding getting rid of him, which considering the man drought might be foolish), I'll have to put my thinking cup of wine  cap on.


This is a two part problem; your skin and his beard. I think this calls for a two part solution.


Him


Hygiene is important. 


Whatever gunk is on his face will be rubbed into yours. Normally your natural oils would keep anything nasty from bothering you but the irritation caused by the coarse hair will leave your skin vulnerable. Think about how often we touch our faces during the day and where his hand may have been. I don't need to say it but think - toilets, shopping trolleys, children, rubbish. 


Even if he washes his hands constantly - does he do it before he touches his face. Rinsing his face under the shower isn't enough, he needs to use some kind of cleanser and he needs make sure he washes his hands more during day.


Now on to step two of part one. Beard softeners or conditioners. 


These products will help soften the hair (surprise! -the name kind of gives it away). You can get some leave products (which are also called beard wax) but I think these could react with your skin so I think using a mask type would be better.


I think these can be hard to find here are some examples here and here. You don't need to use something specifically for men so long as it is for curly (you can use a straightening wax too) or coarse hair. Regular conditioner isn't quite up to the task.


A mask will also work best if he has a short beard or stubble. If he is resistant to the idea of a mask dump trick treat him to a shoulder rub or hand job.




You


Your skin is in need of a little care too, also we can't control him so we should focus on you. 


When your skin is flaky it's tempting to try and exfoliate it away. Resist. Use a clean facecloth and gently rub DO NOT scrub. Forcibly removing the top layer, dead or otherwise, will leave the new skin exposed before it's healed.


Cut back on foundations. Restrict them to work and special occasions. Where the skin is still raw try to avoid using any at all.


Turn down the temperature on your baths and showers. It's hard in winter but the heat stresses your skin out.


Wash your hands regularly. With good old fashioned SOAP and water. Any residue left by sanitisers or anti-bacterial agents will irritate your skin and they are no more effective than soap (if you don't believe me have a look at this). Simple and natural is best. 


Simple and natural is best. This goes for you and him. I have nothing against modern chemicals but you don't know how they will react when they meet.


Keep moist (tee he). Drink water and use a good moisturiser day and night. Face masks will also help. 
While your skin is healing I recommend using a moisturiser at night that is  high in vitamin e and avocado oil. When I reacted badly to a new foundation this was the only thing that didn't sting. 


I have also used pure aloe vera to help heal skin irritations and that works a treat.


Well, I missed my Hump Day deadline my three minutes but I'm certain you'll still find it useful tomorrow.


Let me know what you think, you don't need and account to comment it's open everyone.


 If you want some genuine advice or would like to ask a silly or even fictitious question you can direct message me on Twitter , email applecheekedgirl@mail.com or leave an anonymous comment on this blog. I accept no responsibility for any stupidity that arises from your inability to think things through.



3 comments:

  1. Applecheekedgirl, thanks so much for your advice. It was lengthy and informative.

    First, let me defend my love for his stubble. I like it so much because 1. It covers up his bum chin. 2. It makes him look all manly and shit. 3. It accentuates his non-hairy apple cheeks.
    Sorry, I think I was a bit gross and lovey dovey there. I shall refrain.

    I have been foolishly scrubbing and exfoliating away at my chin for about a month, to no avail! Now I understand why. Not sure if I can give up my scolding hot showers though, my hairdresser tells me the same thing but as you know nothing beats a hot shower on a cold night...

    Thanks ACG, your advice was great. Hopefully this is a phase and my normal chin skin will return soon. Otherwise maybe I need a chin pad for those intimate times.

    Yours, Hairy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now I know he has a bum chin you are forgiven! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for your advice. It was lengthy and informative. Now I understand why. Not sure if I can give up my scolding hot showers though

    ReplyDelete